Why Invest In Portugal Property?
Property purchase can offer greater returns today than most stock market investments. Never before has international property been as popular as a highly lucrative opportunity to create wealth. Find out more below.
Overseas property investors regard Portugal as a prime location with a strong real estate market and high rental yields in popular tourist resort areas. Despite slower growth rates than in previous years, Portugal has held onto its appeal as a tourist and second home or retirement destination and its safe and solid economic climate continue to draw investors looking for stable medium to long term gains.
Advantages of Investment in Portugal
- One of the lowest costs of living in the EU, though prices are slowly creeping up as Portugal regularizes its tax policies with the rest of the EU
- A highly appealing tourist location and quality of life conducive to a peaceful retirement destination
- Stunning and diverse natural beauty, from rivers, cliffs and clean sandy beaches to mountains and championship golf courses, making it popular with all kinds of visitor
- Interesting history and cultural heritage with a wealth of tourism potential throughout the country
- Well trodden property market place, with stability and transparency in buying procedures for foreign purchasers
- English is widely spoken
- Large presence of fellow British residents - some 50,000 properties are British owned in the Algarve alone.
- Over 300 days of sunshine per year
- Lowest crime rate in Europe and stable political climate
- Construction density limits in the Algarve set at 8%, guaranteeing preservation of the natural environment
- The largest area covered by golf courses in southern Europe
- Possible growth rates of around 10% per annum and rental yields of maximum 10% in key locations
- Shortage of property to supply an ongoing demand in popular resort areas
- Easy access via budget airlines (2 ½ hours flight from the UK) and an advanced road infrastructure
- Interesting new markets emerging on the Silver Coast, north of Lisbon, at lower prices than in more traditional locations
- Founding member of NATO
- Member of European Monetary Union since 2002
Off-plan purchase is very popular in certain parts of the Algarve, where some investors are enjoying relatively high returns of 10% per annum in some areas, particularly in the new luxury golf resorts. Buy-to-let options can provide reliable rental income from golf as well as beachside properties, and these serve to boost investment returns, along with eventual capital appreciation upon resale.
Portugal has excellent direct flight communications with the UK and the rest of Europe, making it a convenient holiday destination. This accessibility increases potential investment yields and reinforces the continued success of Portugal as an investment location. A relatively low cost of living, great quality of life, pleasant, warm climate, stunning sandy beaches and a safe and friendly social environment are all valuable contributing factors to Portugal's successful property market.
Our Portugal Investment Research section allows you to research further into Portugal as a property investment location.
IPIN members may view carefully selected Portuguese investment opportunities and, if you are not a member, you can join FREE now and gain instant access our detailed Investor Reports on all these properties.
Let Us find Property in Portugal for You
Fill out a requirements form and our experts will help
you find a great selection of Properties for sale in Portugal.