There is no shortage of horror stories of buying property in Spain circulating around the Internet and the UK in general. And these stories are not unfounded. However, when you look into these stories it becomes obvious that in most cases it is basically down to naivety or negligence on the part of the buyer!
When many buyers arrive in Spain with the intention of buying their dream Spanish property they can be easy prey to many of the pressure sales orientated Spanish Real Estate Agents, whose only goal is to sell property.
The good news is that buying Spanish Property need not be a story of horror but an easy and straight forward process and the investment opportunities are genuinely good. Like everything in life these days you have to be logical and streetwise and protect yourself using some simple and straight forward measures:
• Don’t let the sun affect your common sense
• Before travelling on a buying trip try to obtain an agreement in principle of the amount available to you from your lender and remember you need not only the purchase price but the purchase costs as well to be able to complete
• Remember the property you wish to buy is not the last property in Spain – if the paperwork does not stand up to scrutiny find another one
• Always seek independent legal advice before making any decision
• Don’t take legal advice from friends and acquaintances – with the best will in the world it is likely to be incomplete or inaccurate
• Make sure you know the full extent of the costs involved in purchasing by having your lawyer confirm the expenses to you.
• Don’t sign contracts in Spanish, even with an English translation. You may not understand the implications, and often the translations are poor or even missing details. It is often what is missing from a contract that is important, not what it contains
• Don’t commit yourself to a purchase if you need finance to complete without making sure you can have your deposit refunded if finance is refused
• Do not pay large amounts of money to developers who do not offer you the security of a Bank Guarantee for these payments. Generally, reputable developers will always offer guarantees – it’s the law
• Do not pay part of your purchase price in undeclared cash. This practice has been widespread in Spain but there are no benefits to you as a purchaser regardless of what vendors or their representatives may say.
• Make a Spanish Will for your Spanish assets. Not having a Will in Spain can delay your heirs from taking control of their inheritance.
• Do ensure you have sufficient insurance to cover your property, the contents, travel health and your car.
• Open a current account at a local bank early in your buying process.
• Make sure you know where your local doctor is located in case of emergencies
We are aware of many problems people have had when buying in Spain. Some have had homes built and not applied for and received the relevant permissions and consequently get fined heavily or even worse have their homes knocked down. This is exactly the same as you would expect in the UK should you build a home without planning permission.
We are professional and our agents are all experts in their specific fields, we ensure you are with the most relevant agent for your required property and keep in contact with all our clients to ensure they are happy with the service they are receiving and also to answer any questions or help with any problems you may have
Get the latest property and investment opportunities direct to your inbox for FREE (you can unsubscribe anytime)
Spain welcomes nearly one Million less Tourists than predicted for first Half of 2018
Lack of Supply blamed for Downturn of Balearic's Property Market
Sales & House Prices rise steadily at the Costa del Sol in first Half of 2018
How is Brexit likely to affect non-resident's Income Tax in Spain?
Do you own Spanish Property via an international Company?
Spanish House Prices continue to rise sharply
All property news from Spain
Subscribe to our RSS Feed
Fill out a requirements form and our experts will help you find a great selection of properties for sale in Spain.
Help me find property in Spain
Considering a property purchase in Spain or need to transfer currency to/from Spain?
Save Thousands in Currency Transfers
When considering a buying property in Spain, you are well advised to get expert mortgage advice from a mortgage broker.
Get a mortgage quote in Spain
Owners Direct is one of the UK's leading direct from owner rental websites and the first choice for holiday home owners who want a cost effective and easy way to fully book their properties.
Find out more
If you own or are about to purchase property in Spain, you get an insurance quote using our online insurance quote form.
Get Insurance in Spain
Do you have your British assets covered by a will?
Do you have your movable foreign assets covered by a will?
Have you made plans to protect your family in the event of your death?
Get more information on Wills
Everything you need to know about transferring your UK Pension is in our downloadable guide.
Get more information on Pensions
Balearic Islands Property
Canary Islands Property
Castille and Leon Property
Castille-La Mancha Property
La Rioja Property
Subscribe to our newsletter and keep up to date with the latest and best investment opportunities around the world!